Using the ASHAA classification and region system provides us 52 statewide nominee slots for both the Scholar Athlete Award and Achievement Award, giving us a total of 104 scholarships. Eligible nominees are determined through the following criteria:
- Each school will determine their nominees to be submitted for area competition.
- A committee of school principals selects the area winners to be submitted for regional competition.
- School administrators in each region are responsible for determining region winners.
- Region winners are then put into competition before a selection committee to determine the winner in each class.
- Class winners are then compared to determine the top Scholar Athlete and top Achievement winner in the state.